What Was the First Manga You Finished?

What Was the First Manga You Finished?

Hey gang. I was asked, in a round about way, “what was the first manga you finished?” I had to actually stop and think about this. So let me retrace my steps by thinking first about what were the initial manga titles I got into. And then I think I can deduce my way to figuring out which manga series I finished first.

First Manga Started

While I was clearly aware of manga, I didn’t actually start reading manga right away. However, after watching the first, 5-episode Ah! My Goddess OVA (titles Oh My Goddess! in the States), I lamented on some forum or other about how I would have loved to have had more than five episodes. Since there were no other Ah! My Goddess anime series at the time, folks told me to get the manga from Dark Horse.

Ah! My Goddess Belldandy

I was hesitant at first, but eventually I did buy the first twelve graphic novels that Dark Horse put out. Back then, Dark Horse released Oh My Goddess! as a Western comic book, then did graphic novel compilations that didn’t match the Japanese tankoubon releases.

BUT, Ah! My Goddess was a LONG way from being completed. As such, it could not be the first manga I finished.

Finding the Manga!

Shortly thereafter, I watched Love Hina. I was discussing it on some forum or other and was told that I had to read the manga, which was far superior. So the second manga I scored was TokyoPop’s Love Hina release. I wasn’t sure where I scored it, but I found the records. TokyoPop had released the first eight volumes when I picked the series up. So I bought them all.

Love Hina School Girls

After that, the records show that I continued to buy the remaining four volumes as they were released. And while I was buying other manga at the time, such as Oh My Goddess, Love Hina was done and thus it was the first manga I finished.

So I pose the question to you. What was the first manga you finished? I’d love to read your responses in the comments section below.

17 Responses to “What Was the First Manga You Finished?”

1. The first manga I bought and read was Maison Ikkoku because the VCR tapes stopped about half way through the series. I wanted to know what happened to the characters. Then manga sucked me in even tighter and I bought the Viz graphic novel set as well as the un-flopped manga-like version in English Translation.

I had the original Viz release. I sold it off when I was paying off my massive medical bills. I never did pick up the manga re-release. If the re-release retained the honorifics, I might consider it. But I don’t trust Viz adaptations these days.

2. exof954 says:

The oldest series I can remember finishing is Soul Eater, because a friend lent me the first few volumes and I sped through the rest in record time (I think our local library had a few of them?). That said I also read Love Hina around then, and there’s a number of non-mainstream series that I picked up and finished in the span of a single week. I didn’t start using MAL until a couple years later, unfortunately, so I can’t remember very many of them anymore.

3. WMC says:

Definitely “Love Hina.” Super delicious bait and I’ve been hooked ever since.

I actually double dipped on the series. I still own the old TP books, but the updated (and superior) translations of the omnibus volumes (and the first translator pinging me to tell me about it) got me to buy those as well. I need to reread the series sometime, but man, I’m so far behind on volumes I’ve yet to read.

4. kubera says:

the first manga i finished was nana.

5. shadowofthevoid says:

The first one I both started and finished was No Need for Tenchi. 20 years ago, I was just starting off collecting anime DVDs, and I was really big into Tenchi Muyo at the time after having watched it during its original run on Toonami in 2000. Tenchi Forever was the first anime DVD I bought, and I got it from a movie store in the mall called Suncoast late in 2000. I’m not sure what exactly got me to do so, but in those very early days of me buying anime from Suncoast I decided to go by the Waldenbooks that was also in the mall and started browsing their manga selection and saw they had a Tenchi manga. I started buying the volumes regularly, finally finishing it when the 12th and final volume was released in 2002. It was when I was buying NNFT volumes that one of the clerks at Waldenbooks suggested I read Love Hina, and that’s how I ended up a Ken Akamatsu fan. A couple of years later, Negima came out, and in reading up about it online, I eventually found your blog.

6. Yue Ayase says:

The first manga I bought was probably the Sailor Moon manga but I missed a volume or two and it soon went out of print. I definitely read Love Hina all the way through though and was shocked at how much better it was than the anime (which admittedly got me a bit emotional at times).

Sorry for the delay. I missed this somehow. 😅

But yeah, I totally agree with you on how the Love Hina manga > anime.

• Yue Ayase says:

Sadly a running theme with Ken’s work…

Alas, ’tis true.

• arimareiji says:

Awww, but the second Negima tried so hard to do its best with the original source work… *eyesprain from rolling too hard*

If only they hadn’t been attacked by the insidious Crack Fairy and his buddy Like God (But Better), I Will Create This In My Own Image.

(Who, me? Still bitter? Surely you jest. (^_~) )

Yeah, I don’t understand why Akamatsu-sensei’s manga titles got such poor adaptations.